Miss Universe Mexico 2025, Fátima Bosch, has accused a senior Miss Universe pageant official of verbally insulting her and trying to silence her during a preliminary event in Bangkok, Thailand, on November 3 — an incident that triggered a walkout by fellow contestants and set off a wave of controversy ahead of this year’s international competition.

According to multiple reports, Nawat Itsaragrisil, the Thai businessman who serves as President of Miss Universe for Asia and Oceania, confronted Bosch in front of other contestants, questioning her about missing a sponsor photoshoot. Witnesses say the exchange quickly turned tense, prompting several contestants to stand up and leave the room in a show of support.

The confrontation took place just before the official sash ceremony and was broadcast live, with clips now spreading widely across social media. In the footage, Itsaragrisil can be heard saying, “Anyone who wants to continue in the competition, sit down,” and later appears to call for security to remove Bosch from the room.

Speaking to reporters afterward, Bosch described the moment as humiliating and disrespectful“We are empowered women, and this platform is meant to give us a voice — no one can silence us,” she said. Bosch alleged that Itsaragrisil called her “stupid” and told her to “shut up,” adding that his anger seemed rooted in tensions between him and the broader Miss Universe Organization (MUO).

“I’ve done everything by the book,” Bosch explained. “I don’t cause trouble, I treat everyone kindly, and I’m doing my best. What happened wasn’t fair. Women shouldn’t accept being disrespected or belittled — anywhere.”

Itsaragrisil, who also owns Miss Grand International, has recently acquired shares previously held by former Miss Universe director Anne Jakrajutatip, fueling speculation that internal business rivalries may have influenced the altercation.

Observers view the incident as a reflection of growing friction between Itsaragrisil’s organization and the MUO’s new leadership team, chaired by Raúl Rocha of Mexico and Mario Búcaro of Guatemala, who now serves as CEO.

In an official statement, the Miss Universe Organization reaffirmed its commitment to protecting “the dignity, safety, and respect of every delegate.” The statement also announced that CEO Mario Búcaro would travel to Thailand to strengthen cooperation with local partners and ensure the event proceeds smoothly.

The organization emphasized that all Miss Universe events will continue as planned, despite the controversy.

Bosch later took to Instagram to thank fans and supporters for their solidarity:
“From Mexico to the world, we remind you — respect is not optional. Empowerment is not a trend. It is our right. Thank you to everyone who stood up for kindness and dignity.”

On November 4, Itsaragrisil issued a public apology, writing, “If anyone felt uncomfortable or affected, I sincerely apologize to each of those people.”

The Miss Universe 2025 Final is scheduled for November 20 at 7 p.m., airing live on Telemundo and streaming on Peacock.

Categorized in: